Sectorial councils of citizen participation
An participatory committee is a group of members of an organization who meet periodically to make decisions about a specific area or scope of the organization.
Participatory committees hold meetings, some are private and some are open. If they are open, it is possible to participate in them (for example: attending if the capacity allows it, adding points to the agenda, or commenting on the proposals and decisions taken by this organ).
Examples: A general participatory committee (which meets once a year to define the organisation's main lines of action as well as its executive bodies by vote), an equality advisory council (which meets every two months to make proposals on how to improve gender relations in the organisation), an evaluation commission (which meets every month to monitor a process) or a guarantee body (which collects incidents, abuses or proposals to improve decision-making procedures) are all examples of participatory committees.
In Catalonia, the Network of Peoples and Cities for Sustainability was established in 1997, an association of municipalities committed to the environment, which impels its Agenda 21 to advance towards sustainable development.
Within this network, Sant Feliu de Llobregat started the process to develop its own Local Agenda 21, in the framework of the environmental audit of 1998 and of Sant Feliu Ciutat in Congress, one of the seeds of citizen participation at the local level. This was possible thanks to the collaboration between the City Council and the citizens who later became part of the Environmental Forum. After a diagnosis and proposal work between citizenship and City Hall, in June 2006 Sant Feliu approved its Environmental Action Plan.
Framed in the desire to extend citizen participation to all areas of local life, and by making sustainability and environmental policies a central axis for improving the quality of life of people and groups of people. Our city, the Environment Council is born.
- Facilitate information access, advice and participation in environmental management and the promotion of sustainability in the municipality.
- Improve the actions of environmental promotion and sustainability through a series of measures that enhance the actions organized by the OSA (Office of Environmental Sustainability)
- Support the environmental and sustainability activities that arise from the working groups of this Council
Functions of the Council
- Promote the exchange of information, dialogue and coordination between the municipal government and the various civic and / or environmental associations.
- Ensure the protection of the environment and the prevention of environmental impacts, and forging the culture of sustainability among citizens
- Know the actions of the City Council in the field of the environment and sustainability
- To know the activities related to the environment and sustainability driven from other municipal areas
- Participation in the activities organized by the OSA (the Office of Environmental Services)
- Participation in the monitoring, evaluation and development of programmed activities
- To organize and organize periodically and permanently the debate and reflection on the achievement of sustainable development at the municipal level, through
- The functions will be exercised by issuing agreements, rulings, reports, studies, proposals and requests that the Council will raise to the competent bodies of the City Council of Sant Feliu de Llobregat. These will not be bundled by the municipal government bodies, although they will be taken into account when designing municipal policy in the field of the environment.