Municipal Children's Council
Sectorial councils of citizen participation
An participatory committee is a group of members of an organization who meet periodically to make decisions about a specific area or scope of the organization.
Participatory committees hold meetings, some are private and some are open. If they are open, it is possible to participate in them (for example: attending if the capacity allows it, adding points to the agenda, or commenting on the proposals and decisions taken by this organ).
Examples: A general participatory committee (which meets once a year to define the organisation's main lines of action as well as its executive bodies by vote), an equality advisory council (which meets every two months to make proposals on how to improve gender relations in the organisation), an evaluation commission (which meets every month to monitor a process) or a guarantee body (which collects incidents, abuses or proposals to improve decision-making procedures) are all examples of participatory committees.
About this assembly
In 1997 it was approved in session of the Municipal Hall, the creation of the Children's Council.
The creation and importance of the Council of Children appears as one of the articles of the Regulation of Citizen Participation of our city council, which textually establishes in article 58: "The City Council of Sant Feliu de Llobregat will promote a joint work with schools and institutes to carry out Child Councils or other pedagogical activities to promote participation ".
The council currently has the participation of 30 children. Age of Directors: 11 and 12 years. The area where the election of the councilors is developed is in the classrooms of the fifth public and concerted schools of the municipality, through a project of values education, participation promotion and the rights of children.
- Web of the Children's Council of Sant Feliu de Llobregat
Procedure for the appointment of Directors:
- A project is being directed to the students of the fifth of all the schools of Sant Feliu, organized by monitors specialized in education in values. Children who want to be directors present a candidature and the vote is taken. The most voted boy or girl becomes the class / course representative at the Children's Council.
- The members are members of the Council for two years. Each year, half of the members of the Council are renewed. This is on November 20th on the occasion of the International Children's Rights Day.
Collaborations and / or stable actions:
- Constitution of the council. Municipal commemoration of the Universal Day of Children's Rights (November 20th) In this session, children present the activities carried out during the course and the political assignment is made for the coming year.
- Collaboration with the Council of Women of the municipality on the International Day against gender violence (November 25).
- Participation in the Night of Kings. The Kings of the Orient are welcomed and a letter of wishes is read. (January 5).
- Participation as a jury of the Carnival Costume Contest.
- Meeting with families. The board is in charge of presenting to families the work they do and how they do it.
- Meeting with the mayor and councilors to submit proposals and suggestions.
- Participation in radio programs, meetings with the Síndic de Greuges, visits to leisure entities, meetings with other councils, ...
- We meet on an ordinary basis on the first Fridays each month in the Torre del Roser room and, extraordinarily, to do activities in work groups, outside this space.
- Management, material, block, etc. are distributed. The two facilitators and some former counselors participate.
- The meetings are divided into two parts: During the first part we work by groups, to encourage participation, suggestions topics. Also work on the agenda and how to bring the meeting.
- During the second part, the commission made by the mayor and the proposals made by the councilors and counselors themselves are worked on.
Relationship with families
- At the moment they are chosen, contact families to congratulate them and invite them to the Constitution of the Children's Council.
- At the beginning of the course they are cited to explain the project. This meeting is carried out by the own Council of children. The facilitators participate when the elements of the educational approach of the project are presented.
- We make contacts during the course, depending on the projects we want to invite.
- We usually see each other when they accompany their children or daughters to the board.
Every year, children have the opportunity to realize the importance of their participation in their city, and that the projects they develop are of great importance. A positive indicator is that they always have a willingness to participate in the proposals that reach them, and that there is always a group of five / six boys and girls who express their desire to continue working for their city and being part of the group of collaborators.