Municipal Council of Solidarity
Sectorial councils of citizen participation
An participatory committee is a group of members of an organization who meet periodically to make decisions about a specific area or scope of the organization.
Participatory committees hold meetings, some are private and some are open. If they are open, it is possible to participate in them (for example: attending if the capacity allows it, adding points to the agenda, or commenting on the proposals and decisions taken by this organ).
Examples: A general participatory committee (which meets once a year to define the organisation's main lines of action as well as its executive bodies by vote), an equality advisory council (which meets every two months to make proposals on how to improve gender relations in the organisation), an evaluation commission (which meets every month to monitor a process) or a guarantee body (which collects incidents, abuses or proposals to improve decision-making procedures) are all examples of participatory committees.
About this assembly
The Solidarity Counsil of Sant Feliu is defined as a permanent body of consultative sectoral participation, with the aim of the City Council to stimulate participation and contribute to raising awareness about the problems of the Third World and the differences between North and South.
The council of Sant Feliu was born in 1999, the result of a political will in the field of cooperation and after recognizing the work of civil society organized on the platforms of 0.7%.
Objectives of the Board:
- To foster awareness of cooperation and solidarity among the citizens of Sant Feliu
- Ensure compliance with the recommendation of the United Nations regarding the economic fund destined to the aid for the development of the Third World (0.7%)
- Promote and coordinate cooperation programs with countries and communities of the so-called Third World
- Collaborate with associations and NGOs in Sant Feliu dedicated to the Cooperation for the execution of specific projects.
- Prioritize the solidarity and cooperation activities with the cities of the Third World, together with Sant Feliu, with which there is a relationship of exchange and cooperation: Estelí (Nicaragua) and Daora (Western Sahara, R.A.S.D)
- To promote projects of Development Cooperation
- Preparation of annual Awareness Plans
The Council usually joins twice a year officially, one to agree and establish the budgetary bases to grant the subsidies and approve the Awareness Plan, and the second to agree to the granting of subsidies.
In addition, there are meetings of a Working Group that throughout the year directly affect aspects such as awareness campaigns, solidarity actions and dissemination both locally and abroad.